Wednesday 29 April 2009

Creative Facilitation

I went on a course today at Cornerhouse - it was Creative Facilitation, one of the many Youth Arts courses run by Artswork, an independent agency supporting the national youth arts strategy. It was an interesting day with lots to think about and lots of people to meet, but the value in training always comes in the following months when you hope that it feeds in to your everyday work. Having learnt most of my methods of facilitation in one gallery and with one team, it was really good to talk to other people about the tried and tested ways of engaging young people. There was one in particular that I think I might try in a sound & art workshop I'm doing in Liverpool in a couple of weeks. It's based around the idea of counting 1, 2, 3 alternately between you and a partner. i.e I say 1, you say 2, I say 3, you say 1, I say 2, you say 3, etc. Then you start replacing each number with a different sound or movement, until you're just creating your pattern of sounds or movements. We talked about the possibilities of filming or recording it... Can't wait to give it a go!

Still checking out the live stream of Soft Furnishings over at SHOWstudio. Here's an image from one of the final shots -

While I'm waiting for the most exciting stuff from SHOWstudio I'm trying to finish the report that was published on Monday 'Get it: The Power of Cultural Learning.' From what I've read already it's quite an important document and I'd recommend it to everyone working in that sector - even if you just read the executive summary, do it!

No comments: